Thursday, April 21, 2011

THE GREEN FOLDER

Greetings!

I believe it is possible to recover from any life circumstance and I am living proof.

I went from experiencing homelessness, to living in public housing, to owning my own home.

I went from being told I would never work again due to a psychiatric disability, to volunteering and gaining job skills, to working in the mental health arena.

Today I am transitioning from being dependent upon disability income to living independently with earned income. I do public speaking engagements and mental health trainings. I am also in college.

Things that have been critical to the restoration of my life include a supportive faith community, the public mental health system and vocational rehabilitation services.

I am taking a political science class and to earn extra credit, I began co-chairing the United Congregations of Metro East (UCM) Health Care Task Force. This responsibility is very near and dear to my heart and I have created this blog for the purpose of sharing what is happening to the public mental health system from my perspective. I will try to update a few times each week and hope you find this to be resourceful.

Blessings upon you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home