Thursday, April 21, 2011

PAYING TAXES

Today at the Madison County Continuum of Care annual meeting, I heard repeated accounts of how individuals who previously experienced homelessness have transitioned into having a home, securing employment, paying taxes and restoring family relationships. The audience was also informed that if legislatures make decisions to decrease state housing funds it will result in local counties defaulting on federal government agreements for matching dollars. In other words, local communities which already have a greater demand than supply, will experience double the loss. As Larry Evans, Lead Chair for the UCM Health Care Task Force, said to me "Doing what Jesus Christ would have us do is usually the most cost-effective approach."

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."
-Matthew 25:35 & 36, NIV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home