Monday, June 20, 2011

WHY WE GIVE UP

I found myself examining something I had given up on recently. I don’t understand how things work in Springfield. In trying to get a better understanding, I asked a knowledgeable ally if we could have lunch together. My intent was to gain a better understanding of the political process. This person, who shall remain nameless, said to me in a not-so-subtle condescending tone of voice “Sure, we can get together and have tea sometime.” He works with many statewide mental health providers who are about to lose substantial funding and instead of building an allied relationship, he took pleasure in putting me in what he mistakenly believes is my place in this world.

I turned to another person, who shall also remain nameless, still trying to gain an understanding of the process. I asked her to explain the structure or point me to a source who could. The response she emailed me was not snide like the tea response, but it was rather discouraging to read “As far as the process I would think you could keep up with things on the state website.” There are a lot of great tools on the state website but without a blueprint design, tools have limited value. I got the impression that she really just didn’t want to be bothered, despite the fact that she is in a leadership position in the mental health arena.

I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz when she says “Toto, I have a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.” It’s a strange world and who lives like this? We are being led nowhere by those who are charged with facilitating our growth and development. I am wrestling with this tonight because if I allow myself to be detoured, it is the same as saying I am in agreement with them…and I am not. I am not in agreement with those who would destroy my life and that of my peers by preventing and hindering us from reaching our fullest potential. We do not deserve this. This is not where we belong. We are not in Oz.

So I guess it’s back to trying to learn how things work in Springfield.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home